Signs You Need Insulation Replacement
“If you’re cold, wear a sweater” doesn’t exactly work when it’s your house that’s freezing you out. If you’ve found yourself in this situation, don’t start shopping for space heaters; we’ve got a long-term solution for you. A ‘sweater’ for your house! Insulation. Yes, you’re probably thinking that you’ve already got that installed–most houses do, but that tell-tale sign of teeth chattering in your living room is there to tell you that it’s time for a replacement. In this new era of do-it-yourself home improvement, creating a comfortable and cozy space is the top priority for many homeowners. However, improving energy efficiency is also desirable because it can save money in the long run or help you qualify for green incentives if your utility company offers them.
Quality Insulation Replacement
We’ve been providing quality blown-in insulation as well as insulation removal and fireproofing services across Florida for years now, and you won’t be an exception, so give us a call! With this much experience under our belts, we’ve seen it all. Whether your insulation has become damaged or ineffective, whether it wasn’t installed at all or is causing uncomfortable and even dangerous conditions, no job is too much for us.
If any of these issues we’ve listed ring any bells about your home, here are some signs that your insulation should be either installed if it’s missing, or if it needs to be replaced altogether:
- Rising or falling indoor temperatures: This can point to your insulation having shifted in the spaces between your wall and in your attic, which will allow outside air into your home.
- Rising energy bills: If you’re noticing that your bills are getting pricier but your energy use is the same, insulation might be your culprit.
- Animal infestation: Rats, mice and snakes like to find homes in insulation; they burrow into it and leave feces. Squirrels also make cozy nests in air vents or attics—and can bring fleas with them, so watch out!
- Wet insulation: Don’t ignore wet insulation. You might think it’s commonplace or just a one-time thing, but this contaminated material must be replaced as soon as possible. Not only are you bringing in cooler temperatures, but you could be risking your life! If vents are blocked, a leaky roof causes water to collect on the ceiling of your crawl space or attic and saturate the insulation there—which in turn can cause mold to grow.
- Indoor drafts: As stated above, a poor insulation job can allow drafts to enter the home. These breezes of unwanted hot or cold can be a great barometer for the health of your insulation.
Short-term Cost for a Long-term Benefit
In its efforts to reduce energy costs, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program recommends that homeowners increase the amount of insulation in their homes. You can weatherize yours by caulking cracks around windows, doors, and ductwork. This can save you in heating and cooling costs by up to twenty percent!
You can estimate how much insulation you need by checking the attic, walls, and floors surrounding unheated spaces. The framing components are usually exposed in these areas. This means you can see what type of insulation is used and how much is there.
To inspect exterior walls, turn off the power at the main electrical box and use an outlet to remove cover. Shine a flashlight into the gap around the outlet box. If you see insulation inside, then you’re probably good to go, but don’t get too excited! You need to check the outlets on every floor of the house, in new and old areas alike. Just because you can find some insulation in one wall, doesn’t mean you’ll be able to find it everywhere.
Insulation Replacement Services by Florida Air Express
If you find problems, need an inspection, or have questions about insulation services, contact us at Florida Air Express. We’ll be happy to walk you through this process! We can make sure that your house is prepared for the oncoming summer!
Preventing Moisture Damage with Blow-In Insulation To make your house […]